There is no more humbling feeling than editing a manuscript you wrote years before. Things that you'd never have caught in the moment... you see now. The editing team at NSP of course did the lion's share of the work. We got in a little tiff over the word "witchfire" which I think should be one word in order to normalize it. Like campfire and wildfire, witchfire shouldn't feel extraordinary in context. In the world of my witches, it's as normal as anything. Ultimately, they agreed and conceded.
It took five months to get through the editing process. I often wondered how it would work. They sent me a questionnaire to fill out about my editing preferences and how I'd like different concepts to land - and then took a crack at it. Being the visceral and visual learner that I am, I had the whole draft printed (like I did with the first draft!) so I could go through it as the reader. It took me about a month to go through it again with a fine-toothed comb. I sent eight pages of line-by-line edits, changes, and additions. In a week or so, my publishing director sent me the edited draft!
Editing is done... and I've re-fallen in love with this story. I can't wait to share it with you.